Sunday, January 20, 2008

You are you. I am anything.

When your friends are constantly reinventing themselves, and excited about it, it may tend to rub off on you, too. This is even more true when you feel that every aspect of your life is not working for you. It is popular in today's culture to ask yourself or others, "Who are you?" If you asked me that today, if I was being honest, I would have to tell you that I don't know who I am. I recently had a conversation about this with my best friend, Zac Taylor, and he said, it's not about finding out who you are. It's about creating who you are. He says that to be who you want to be, you need to do the things that someone who has what you want does, and do the things that the person you want to be would do. We often think "I have this, so I am limited to doing this, to try to be this." He says this is backwards from how it really works. Instead, we should "Do this, so we can be this, and then have this." In effort to create myself effectively, I want to start blogging about my Journey to creating myself. When I was at Zac's house last week, we both created a customized daily planner for ourselves. Zac is almost religious about his daily to-do list, and he adapted his to make it work better for him. I made my planner based on things that are important to me in my life. It's a good idea if you don't plan anything, or your current method of planning feels boring to you. So here's what I have:

What you get to do with your Life today
Day/Date:
Health
Relationships
Money
Fun
Personal Growth
Work
Wants
Needs

Then, on the back of that page is the following:
Who Were you today
Day/Date:
What did you DO today?
What did you HAVE as a result of your actions today?
What EXPERIENCE did you take away in hindsight of the day?
Is this something that the person you want to be would do? If not, what would they have done?

This planner-journal will do several things for me. It will give me another way to see my life, and I believe it will help me work on my reflection skills, as well as give me something to write about. I haven't started working with it yet, and don't know when I will to be honest. Maybe I'm just waiting to feel good enough about it.

No comments: